Litchfield-by-the-Sea (LBTS) a unique beach side community in the heart of the South Carolina Low Country is located south of Myrtle Beach, north of historic Georgetown.
Our special community offers homeowners, visitors and vacationers a unique life style built around beach activities, tennis, golf, a private water park, walking, fishing, crabbing as well as biking and hiking paths which extend for miles through some of the loveliest marshlands. We are just three miles away from Brookgreen Gardens, the largest outdoor sculpture garden in the world.
LBTS is a magnificent community balancing progress, careful planning and bountiful natural resources.
Sea turtles nest in protected areas where conscientious neighbors quietly watch over their protected nesting locations. Watching the moon rise over the ocean from the huge community deck is a popular evening activity. The beach stretches for eight miles making a paradise for bathers, walkers and runners.
During the summer months there's no better place to relax than on our beach with a good book or just to soak up the magnificent Carolina sunshine. The area offers an abundance of things to do. We have it all; whether it is classes at nearby Coastal Carolina University, tours at our large wildlife sanctuaries at Brookgreen Gardens, Hobcaw Barony and Huntington State Park, or photographing the natural beauty that is all around you.
Myrtle Beach, one of the country's top tourist destinations, is only a twenty minute drive away. You will find a wide variety of excellent attractions to keep everyone happy including some the best shopping you will ever find including two large Tanger Outlets.
At the end of a relaxing and fun filled day you can choose from a wide selection of restaurants in the Pawleys Island area offering a variety of cuisines.
Litchfield-by-the-Sea is a fireworks-free zone
Fireworks are strictly prohibited
7/2/2020 Fourth of July at LBTS
As we get closer to the Independence Day holiday, the Litchfield by the Sea (LBTS) Board wanted to share the following reminders for everyone:
• Please be patient. The 4th of July holiday is the single busiest day for the Oceanside Campus. Our staff is doing their very best to get you into the community, direct traffic, and keep you safe.
• If you are planning to view the Salute to the Shore (military aircraft fly over), we recommend that you arrive early. The anticipated time for the fly over to pass LBTS is 1:00 pm. All overflow lots will be striped and open for use. After the event concludes, please be patient as everyone is trying to leave at the same time.
• Social distancing standards are still in effect for the Beach House deck. If you wish to enjoy the deck area, please remember to bring your own chairs.
• The LBTS Board and Security Staff do not have jurisdiction over the beach. Georgetown County is responsible for enforcing social distancing.
• Fireworks are not permitted anywhere on LBTS property.
• Please do not leave items behind on the beach including trash, beach furniture or tents.
• Please take care to fill in any holes you have dug on the beach. Open holes in the sand are safety issues for both humans and nesting turtles.
Thank you for helping us make this holiday enjoyable for everyone.
Litchfield by the Sea Board of Directors
7/1/2020 River Club Pool Update
The only pool owned and operated by Litchfield by the Sea is located at River Club. The LBTS pool at River Club will remain closed for the time being due to the following reasons:
1. Insurance will not cover costs associated with a pandemic – whether it be related to someone having contracted COVID-19 or the legal defense costs necessary to defend the HOA against such a claim. The association’s attorney and insurance agent both recommended remaining closed at this time.
2. There has been an alarming increase in COVID-19 cases the past few weeks in Georgetown and Southern Horry counties. This is not the time to offer spaces that encourage groups to congregate.
In addition to other local sources you are currently monitoring you may want to include the following:
• South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) – specific to COVID-19
• Georgetown County website
• Tidelands Health Newsroom website
Additionally, protect yourself and others:
• Wear a protective face mask when in social situations
• Practice Social Distancing
• Wash hands often
The LBTS Board understands that people are frustrated but current conditions prevent the safe re-opening of the pool right now. The Board will continue to monitor local conditions and resources. Please stay safe and healthy!
We appreciate your patience and cooperation.
Board of Directors
Litchfield By The Sea Community Association, Inc.
5/7/2020 New Practices Implemented This Week
The following actions will be implemented at the LBTS Beach House deck and restroom building by the end of the week:
• Maintenance staff will shift to their summer schedule to monitor and empty trash cans, monitor the cleanliness of the rest rooms and replenish rest room supplies (paper goods and soap);
• A Beach House security guard will be on site Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 6pm. This guard will also monitor the hospitality supplies in the rest rooms.
• Social distancing requirements are still in place and are the responsibility of each individual to follow. The LBTS Board will continue to monitor crowds and reserves the right to close the Beach House Deck area if the crowds exceed the ability for safe social distancing practices to occur. Enforcement of social distancing requirements is the responsibility of Georgetown County Health and Safety professionals.
• One way traffic will be instituted on TWO stair cases leading to and from the beach to the deck area. Please note and follow the instructions of the posted signs.
• For the needs of handicapped individuals, LBTS cannot institute one way traffic on the handicap ramp.
• Over flow parking areas will be opened with spaces clearly marked.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation as we navigate these unique times together.
The Litchfield by the Sea Board of Directors